My Inner Attic Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A Look Beyond the Dust and Cobwebs that Reside in My Brain
Thursday, September 21, 2006
Can't Beat Those Ivory's!
I'm not sure if I've talked about this before or not, but in my family music is a huge part of our lives. We would listen to music getting ready in the morning....we would slam our bedroom doors as teenagers, and blast whatever music fit our mood best. When we were sad, we would play the slowest, saddest song we could find and let the tears run down our faces.
Not only did we listen to music growing up, but most of our family is/was very musically inclined. My grandfather made an entire cd. He sang and he played all the instruments. The entire CD is him and all his talent. May you rest in piece grandpa.
For my sister and I , our love is the piano. My mom taught us to play without notes. We played by ear, we played from our hearts...we used the piano keys to let everyone within sight know how we were feeling. I remember it being my "out" from reality. When my parents would start fighting for the umpteenth time, I would sit at the piano and just play and play and play, until all I could hear was the sound of the music, and all I could feel was the coldness of the keys. Sometimes I would play out of the anger I felt towards my father, and sometimes I would play with the sadness I felt knowing my family was falling apart.
I remember the day we sold our house. I remember this day quite cleary because it was also the day that my mom told us she was selling our piano. We needed the money. We were on our own now...
Since around that time , I haven't been able to play. That was about wow... 9 years ago almost.
I can tell you all that i STILL miss it. I still want to hammer away at the keys every time I feel extreme emotion. I can't wait until I can one day buy another one, and raise my kids to love music as much as I have grown to. And I'd really like to thank my mom for doing that with us.



8 Comments:
i have yet to hear you play. and i want to! music was always a huge part in my life too. my dad plays the guitar and sings. well he used to before he got sick. and i too would slam doors and blast fitting music. i can't get ready w/o music in the morning. i'm always humming or singing a song. how can people NOT love music and listen to it so much???????

Blogger j.sterling said...
i'm the total opposite.. i HATED taking piano lessons because my mom MADE me. and i was tired and i played sports and homework and then practice... it was annoying.
but NOW i wish i could play..

Blogger Twisted DNA said...
It's lovely that you grew up with a piano around the house. Unfortunately I grew up music-illeterate. I developed interest later in life. Now I have a keyboard at the house and I have been encouraging my kid to "play with it" since he is months old

Blogger Tara said...
Becky - when i get a piano and play again for a bit, i'll definately play for ya. I don't understand people that don't love music either.

Jenn - I didn't like piano lessons. When my mom taught me it was on our own terms, and it wasn't like your average lesson...it was more fun

Twisted - thats great that you're doing that for your kid. And thanks for stopping by my blog! :o)

Blogger mollymcmo said...
i grew up playing the piano and have a love of it too, i'm not so talented that i can hammer out a tune without sheets in front of me though.

if i was a bizillionaire i would buy a piano and ship it to you right now :)

m

Blogger Tara said...
lol, thanks molly. :o)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
can't write much, not enough time! though just wanted to say, you guys make a hunky dory couple :)
"enough said" ;)

Blogger Aparna said...
awwwwww your blogs are so snuggly. and i love the songs you pick. awwwwwwww. oh no i'm melting into a pool of estrogen!